Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Most Popular Christmas Toys (1920's till now)

Most Popular Christmas Toys
(1920's till now)

A Christmas post should deal with one of the more important traditions, gift opening, and, in particular, TOYS!! When discussing the most influential toys over the past century there must be limitations, first and foremost, I am dealing only with American culture and, secondly, I am choosing to skip certain decades due to length--this post can't be a dissertation of American toys even though that would be a lot of fun! I researched several reputable websites and cross-matched the entries. These are the results I found...

1920's--
"Radio Flyer Wagon"
This toy has found it's place in so many films, books, etc. and even today many children still own this beloved classic. I remember carrying my kittens around in mine when I was a little girl, or towing a friend down hills at far too fast a pace (ahhh the good ol' days). Something so simple became a much beloved member of the family and an item that has more memories attached to it than most toys can boast.

1930's--
"The Sock Monkey"
My favorite of all stuffed animals and an inspiration for one of my other blogs, the sock monkey has the ability to turn any frown upside down. I have never had the nerve to make one out of used socks (a perfect toy for the depression), but appreciate the beauty of a well-crafted sock monkey. The cute button eyes and that happy red mouth, there's no jollier face to be found. 


1940's--
"The Slinky"
I had several of these growing up and all of them ended up looking like a mesh of metal shortly after taking too far of a tumble. The sad thing about a slinky is that once it's twisted it's done forever. I remember my parents buying me a plastic one once, and while indestructible, far less fun. 

1950's--
"Mr. Potato Head"
Oh Mr. Po Head (what I used to call mine) is a toy that should be incredibly boring. After sticking his parts in him and taking them out the fun should be over, but something ethereal happens when you put the eye where the nose should be and an arm sticking out of the forehead...the possibilities are endless! While my Mr. Po took a beatin' like no other toy in my toy box he was always good for a laugh.

1960's--
"Etch a Sketch"
Only a true artist can use this toy's canvas and yet it has been done in remarkable ways. Back in school I thought I was doing good just to write my name in cursive. However, this toy has taken on new dimensions as a platform for some very interesting art!

1970's--
"Simon"
Simon, or  as I like to call it, the dumb man's rubik's cube (not that I ever really accomplished this game). I think it was thrown around the room like a frisbee. This is not a game for the impatient! I can still remember pounding on the colored pop up pieces, knowing that pressing too hard or too soft could either not count towards the sequence or accidentally end up in the dreaded, accidental double hit. 

1980's--
"Teddy Ruxpin"
The other mother toy, the Teddy Ruxpin could read to you without the supervision of an adult and the great thing is you didn't have to wait until bed time. Teddy would happily read to you whenever you wanted. The biggest problem is that his mouth never moved with the words. It was just a standard up and down motion, but over time, miraculously, I forgot all about that major technological problem. 

1990's--
"Tickle Me Elmo"
I was stuck as to whether to bring up the dreaded beanie baby phenomenon or the mass craved Tickle Me Elmo. In the end the red guy won out, mainly because I saw mothers knocking each other down in Wal-mart one day for the last remaining one. Even at twelve I thought "you've got to be kidding me."

2000--
Bratz
I honestly know very little about this toy except for their gigantic heads. Coming from the Barbie age where dolls are supposed to be super attractive in order to gain the attention of the one man, Ken, that I owned, the thought of a disproportionate doll seemed odd. However, I guess it's better to play with a doll  that is funny looking than one that will give you a complex. 


No comments:

Post a Comment